Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hopes for the library, written 7/15/07

Since arriving in Ghana, the people here have gone so far out of their way to welcome Annie and I and to make us feel comfortable. It has made me really excited about doing as much as I can for this community. It is not as if I didn't come into this experience with the desire and the drive to offer as much as my time and skills would allow, but it was because of my personal beliefs in the importance of education and reading and on an idea that all people deserved the opprotunity to expand their world through books, helping them to realize that, just like characters in the books, thye have opprotunities as well. Being able to do this while at the same time satisfying a selfish desire to travel and experience a new culture was what made this trip seem so incredible at first. Now that I am here, I still feel that all children deserve access to books and a place to feel free to express their creativity, but now I feel so incredibly lucky that I have been given the opprotunity to help THESE children, these people who have done everything to help me.
Now that I am here, I have realized how much I can actually do for the library. We have so many ideas for programs and for organization at the library that are only possible because we went to so many libraries and after-school programs when we were kids. That, coupled with an education that has given me the skills necessary to articulate and initiate my ideas has given me the capability to have a lasting effect on this community.
I pray that something I do here helps to enusre that this library continues to serve as a place where children learn and have fun long into the future.

No comments: